Looking for some math movies you can add to your family movie night schedule? Want your kids to watch a movie and then start begging to start a family science project? Well, have we got some films for you!
- Hidden Figures— An update to this list since it was published in 2014! We heard about a lot of mathematicians, scientists, and engineers growing up, but not all of them got the recognition they’d earned. Hidden Figures is the story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.
- Moneyball— One great thing about math movies is that they show how mathematics can be applied to the real world. In this film, based on a true story, Oakland A’s General Manager Billy Beane relies on the power of math and statistics to turn around his losing team. (PG-13)
- October Sky— You don’t have to manage a sports team! There are plenty of math movies that show kids using math to succeed in their goals. In October Sky, high school students take on differential equations to build a rocket for the science fair. (PG)
- Donald in Mathmagic Land— In one of the math movies we remember most fondly from our childhood, Donald Duck explores how he uses mathematics in real life in this animated short.
- Primer– Four engineers discover the secret to time travel in this philosophical and timeline-bending movie directed, written and produced by a former engineer with a mathematics background. Check out this infographic of the movie’s complex timelines. (PG-13)
- Little Man Tate— Jodie Foster stars as a single mom who discovers her son Fred is a math genius. (PG)
Think there are other math movies our readers would enjoy? We certainly didn’t list them all! What would you add to our list? Math-related books and TV shows are welcome suggestions, too! Share your thoughts on our Facebook and Twitter pages.