Reporting to the Senior Vice President – National Expansion, the Director of Communications will oversee all communications, website, public relations, and development of informational materials. The Director of Communications will work toward building awareness of Reasoning Mind and developing its reputation as a leader in educational technology, math curriculum reform, and, more generally, education reform. The Director of Communications will work closely with our board and management.
· Manage and mentor 0-2+ Communications Associates
· Lead the design and implementation of communication strategy
· Lead the development of informational materials (plots, slides, narratives, brochures, webpages, etc.) demonstrating the effectiveness of Reasoning Mind with students and teachers and communicating Reasoning Mind’s work to target audiences
· Create or oversee the creation of online content, including blog posts, website materials, and social media messages
· Develop relationships with journalists to ensure appropriate press coverage
· Interview partners, employees, donors, and academics to gather information, stories, and testimonies
· Measure constituent engagement over time
· Manage our mailing list, used to send out newsletters and invitations to special events
· Participate in developing internal communications materials, such as onboarding documents
· Participate in planning of special presentations and attendance at conferences
· 3-5+ years of experience working in a relevant field
· Strong management skills; ability to build consensus
· Ability to identify and relay a great story
· Excellent writing skills; ability to write in a professional, journalistic style (think New Yorker rather than XYZ Corp.’s webpage)
· Entrepreneurial attitude
· Ability to understand and discuss education reform and math curriculum
· Comfort working with large data sets is a plus
· Experience with video editing (or willingness to learn) is a plus
· Sense of humor
Houston, Texas (Reasoning Mind’s U.S. headquarters).
Impact. As Director of Communications, you will responsible for getting Reasoning Mind’s message across to a wide variety of constituents. Your efforts will be essential to all of the organization’s enrollment, development, and recruitment efforts.
The team. You'll be joining a driven, first-rate team of people who are incredibly passionate about education. You will have the chance to work closely with the organization’s leadership, including our CEO and our star-studded Board of Trustees.
Growth. At Reasoning Mind, you will develop your skills in strategy development, management, public relations, and analysis, among others – skills that will stay with you throughout your professional career.
Advancement. Because of RM's rapid growth, exceptionally talented people have the opportunity to quickly advance to roles of increasing responsibility.
The cause. Next year alone, your contributions will improve the mathematics education of over 100,000 students.
Reasoning Mind offers an exceptional benefits package. As a Reasoning Mind employee, you will enjoy comprehensive health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) as well as short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance. You will receive 3 weeks of annual paid vacation and may be eligible for telecommuting – working from home or remotely from any location in the world – for a total of 4 weeks every year.
1. Submit your resume and basic contact information by clicking the Apply Now button on this page.
2. After submitting your resume, you may receive written assignments to be submitted at your earliest convenience.
3. Candidates who do well on the written assignments will advance to the phone interview round.
4. Candidates who advance from the phone interview round will be invited to a final interview with the Reasoning Mind team in Houston.
5. This position will start in Summer 2013.
We are accepting applications for the Director of Communications position on a rolling basis. Please submit your resume and cover letter at your earliest convenience!
Curious about culture at Reasoning Mind? Check out our series of panel videos here.